The Family

The Family
The Family

Sunday, March 1, 2009

Blowing Steam

So eventually I want to print my blog into a memory book. Blogging is my only journal, sad to say. I wanted to record my thoughts on what's going on in the world. So here it goes...my (probably niave) take on the economy. I wish that the American people would learn to live within their means. I heard on NPR yesterday that the debt ratio for a person shouldn't be more than about 40 to 50%. I know when you apply for loans, they use this debt ratio (or they should use it) to see if you qualify. Back in the 1960's and 1970's most households had between 30%-40% debt ratios. Guess what the debt ratio is now? 100%. That's right 100% The only time that it's been this high was in 1929. Does that say something to anyone else but me? I am so sick of RC Willy commercials telling you that you deserve something nice or that you need your home to look nice. No one deserves things...we earn them. If we don't have the money to buy them then we don't buy them. We shouldn't buy things because we deserve them. We should buy them because we can pay for them and have earned them. NPR was saying that we as Americans have lived the high life and now it's catching up to us. I believe it. I think we have it so good and don't even realize it. I think we all need a reality check on what is important in life and not just what we have. I look all around me and find how blessed I am. The fact that you can go to the store and buy a box of Macaroni and Cheese for 45 cents and have a meal or Ramen for 10 cents is amazing. I know that there are places in the world where someone would give anything to be able to go to "a store" to buy things instead of growing them and harvesting them themselves. and they probably can't even do it as cheap as we can buy it! I guess the point I want to make and remember is that I am blessed. I think we're all blessed and I think we all need to stop and thank our heavenly father for what we do have because he have a lot. If we all would stop ourselves from buying things on credit and getting more than we can afford, I think we would gain more than just a good economy...I think we would gain an appreciation. So there it is. I've said my peace. Thanks for listening.

7 comments:

Char said...

I feel the same way.

I think it is a great idea to print out your blog. I was thinking of doing that too because now that I have a blog, I tend to write in my journal less. :(

Tim and Janet said...

Way to tell them, girl! That's the way I raised you...Lots of sense about money!!
Love mom

Chelsey and Adam said...

Hey we miss our neighbors! I can't wait till Spring when both of us are outside all the time! That is when we always see each other! We really need to get together and do something. Maybe you guys can come over for dinner or something one night....american idol night? haha Let us know when you aren't busy and we'll get together.

Trulee said...

Good thoughts. I should harken unto you.

Jess said...

Hey! It's Jessica Gunn. I found your blog through Winegars. I hope that's ok! I love all your pics. It feels like I haven't seen you all in so long!

Mandy said...

I so agree!! I look at younger people today that get out of school and want huge houses, nice cars and everything else. Our parents earned their stuff and we have to too! I think people get impatient and think they can use credit cards to make them happy.

the happyhowards said...

Amber...I think you should write your toughts about the economy and debt into an e-mail and mail it to eveeryone you know! Good job.